Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

How to make a meal out of Salsa...

I will get to that, but first let me give a little back ground and explain how to make it...

After spending a considerable amount of time preparing amazingly delicious food with some latino friends, I have come to appreciate the value of Jalapeno Peppers. Where as I almost never used them, and was in fact sort of afraid of them, I now like to make sure that I always have them on hand when I am making any kind of salsa.

The other day I did a demonstration on how to make salsa for a group of young women. We made a basic Pico de Gallo first. They all tried it and liked it. We then proceeded to add a variety of different ingredients and they continued sampling as we went along. I let them make suggestions about what it might need more of, and what we should put in next, etc. They loved it all and pretty much cleaned up everything that we made. It was a lot of fun for me and I think they liked it too, as several of them have since made it themselves.

I did not specify any amounts. Just ingredients, as everyones preferences are different and what you have on hand to make it will vary from day to day.


Pico de Gallo

Roma Tomatoes, Chopped
White onions (or Oso Sweet, or Vidalia or whatever sweet onions you can find), Chopped
Cilantro, chopped
Fresh lime juice (if you do not have fresh lime, you can also use a little bottled lime or lemon juice, or of course fresh lemon)
Jalepeno Pepper, finely minced (remove the seeds and white membrane from inside. I actually like to use latex gloves to handle the peppers, because no matter how many times I wash my hands, it seems the chemicals from the peppers stay on my skin and for about the 12 - 24 hours I burn my eyes if I rub them with my fingers, and I always forget...)
Salt
Pepper


Expanded version
Try adding some of the following:
Canned Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
Canned whole kernel corn
Chopped red bell pepper (or green or yellow or orange)
Avocado (chop a little bigger that other ingredients, and stir in gently)

Or, make it a fruit salsa, by adding either diced mango, or diced peaches or both.
My sister in law does this and then adds a little bit of jalapeno jelly. Nice touch.


OK FRIENDS... so this is how you turn the salsa into a meal...It is kind of like "Nail Broth" in that you need a few other ingredients.

Idea #1 Taco Salad

Ingredients:
Brown Rice, (left over works fine, I always make extra. Just warm in microwave)
Black Beans, rinsed and drained, and then warmed in a pot with a little vegetable broth (I make this with a little "Superior Touch Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base" mixed with water. Follow instructions on jar.)
Romaine Lettuce, Chopped (I like to mix in gourmet spring mix lettuce, especially if it contains some arugula. You never know exactly what the mix will contain and in what proportions. Nice but not necessary.)
Pico De Gallo Salsa, simple, or with any combination of the additional ingredients.
Tortilla Chips, everyone can crush their own and sprinkle on top.
Ranch Salad Dressing, home made from a "Hidden Valley Ranch" packet, or bottled.

We just put out all of the ingredients and let people build their own. some of us put down a nest of lettuce first and then top with rice and beans. Others prefer the reverse. (Just my observation) My entire family thanks me when I make this relatively simple meal. It is fresh and satisfying. Also, because I do not mix the ingredients to serve, I store all left overs separately and then people come along for the next day or so and make more for themselves. This works great for hungry college students who happen to be home for lunch and ravenous boys just home from high school.

Idea #2 Really Simple Tacos

Ingredients:
*Corn Tortillas, as fresh as possible.
Avocado, sliced and ripened to perfection, if you don't mind...
Pico de Gallo Salsa, for this recipe it is nice if it includes some of the extras, like beans, etc.

Instructions: I'll explain later.....



* For some strange reason, my family prefers the really small tortillas like they use at the "street taco" stands. I have been picking them up at local latino markets.







3 comments:

  1. Hi Naomi! I just got your blog address from my mom. Thank you for posting such healthy/fresh recipes I love it! Love you, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Naomi for creating this blog. It's a service to us all! So how do you turn this salsa into a meal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. MOM. I think you are trying to make me homesick. What I wouldn't give for a good taco right about now. Hahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete